Sunday, February 20, 2011
WWE's biggest PPV WrestleMania is just right around the corner, and with that in mind, it is time to talk about more than just the actual PPV and more about the implications of the PPV towards WrestleMania.
WWE RAW Elimination Chamber – #1 Contendership for WWE Championship:
* John Cena vs. Randy Orton vs. CM Punk vs. John Morrison vs. Sheamus vs. R-Truth.
This is the most interesting match in the PPV by far, this could lead to so many WM matches and here are my theories:
1. John Cena Vs The Rock (WWE can do the “dream match” for who I don’t know, but yeah… if The Rock is going to wrestle and not just “host” the event, it will be a Cena Vs Rock match or possibly, a Vince McMahon Vs The Rock match involving Cena against The Rock's choosing).
Cm Punk Vs Morrison (the recent build up between the two looks like an obvious WM match but this could be a simple way to put Morrison in the main event on Raw and SD! more fluidly).
Orton Vs The Miz (This could be the best way of the WWE putting Orton on a Wrestlemania title match as a leading face hunting for the title that he tried to get from The Miz for three PPV's. And with the fact that Lawler Vs Riley or Lawler Vs Riley with Cole as referee could distract that angle aswell to give a “pure” match between the two).
Sheamus Vs HHH or someone from SD! for a crossbrand gimmick match (I can see a face “King Booker T” Vs King Sheamus if the HHH Vs Taker match is locked).
2. John Cena will pick up the win and go against The Miz for the title, Randy Orton will have a match against CM Punk and Morrison will be in the Money in the Bank match.
John Cena to go against The Miz at WM27.
WWE SmackDown! Elimination Chamber – WWE World Heavyweight Championship:
* Edge (c) vs. Rey Mysterio vs. Kane vs. Wade Barrett vs. Drew McIntyre.
Note: Dolph Ziggler has been removed from the match after the “firing” angle on Smackdown.
With Ziggler being out of the picture, this match could go three ways in my opinion:
1. There will not be a #6 entrant to the match and from there, it will probably go with a very classic match leading Edge retaining to start the WM feud with Del Rio.
2. There will be a #6 entrant with someone that recently was cleared to wrestle again (Bourne, HHH- unlikely or Christian) or the more reasonable possibility that Booker T or Kevin Nash will fill the spot since it looks like both of them are in the company at some capacity, especially Booker T on the SD! Announcing team.
3. The #6 entrant will be The Undertaker leading to a mysterious attack on Undertaker during the match and that will go to the teaser trailer that the WWE is hinting at, and while it is basically Undertaker, it could be someone like HHH coming back on Raw identifying himself as the attacker of Undertaker at the PPV to start a (pretty locked WM match) feud against Undertaker for a Career Vs Streak WM27 match.
Edge to continue the feud with Alberto Del Rio at WM27.
While the number 2 and 3 theories are just possibilities for story advancements towards WM, the most logical thing is to retain Edge and his title. Drew and Barrett are still not at a level of leading Wrestlemania, especially since they are both heels and it would not make sense to put them as faces to go against Del Rio. Sadly, the case will be Edge retaining since the WWE will not have guts to put two young wrestlers coming as champions at WM to lead the PPV that is not a main event guy since The Miz is the young champion on WM this year.
* The Miz (c) vs. Jerry “The King” Lawler.
I cannot understand on any merit why the WWE would not give a young talent a title shot (like they did with Morrison) instead of Jerry Lawler, and while I do have respect for him and everything he did, if the WWE will put The Miz at WM27 as the champion (which is a bad decision to begin with) on top of the rumors of having Lawler Vs Riley at WM27, this is a terrible decision for a match, this will look very weak for all participants involved.
* Alberto Del Rio vs. WWE Intercontinental Championship Kofi Kingston.
Totally a filler match to give a distraction to the main feud between Edge and Del Rio at WM. Even though I can think WWE can give Kofi the win, this is definitely a momentum match for Del Rio and his “Destiny” angle with a PPV victory to brag about.
Alberto Del Rio.
WWE Tag Team Championships:
* Santino and Vladimir Kozlov (c’s) vs. Heath Slater and Justin Gabriel.
With The Corre build up on Smackdown, the obvious thing here is that it looks like Gabriel and Slater will pick up the titles for the second time and with that, Gabriel and Slater are set for the Tag Team division, Wade Barret on the main event scene and Ezekiel Jackson to go with upper-card feuds with people like The Big Show, Kane (if he will have a face turn sometimes soon) and perhaps even against Undertaker if the WWE will want to build a small Corre Vs Undertaker feud.
The actual match will probably be pretty bad, their recent matches were just atrocious but I do think putting Corre on the tag titles could lead to some interesting feuds.
A feud against “New Nexus” members like Otunga and Mason Ryan or more obviously is mcguilicutty and Harris could be quite good, or the most reasonable thing is the winner of NXT4 if it will be Derrick Bateman or Johnny Curtis since both Daniel Bryan and R-Truth are faces but If Brodus Clay will be the NXT4 winner, it would make sense that Santino and Kozlov will retain, since this is a planned thing for the WWE.
Justin Gabriel and Heath Slater.